I am happy to bring another update to the virtuoso project. More and more, this is becoming a more user-friendly application. Here is the changelog for this update.
- Added play/stop buttons
- Added time slider
- Sound playback enhanced and made more realistic
- Lots of optimizations and bug fixes
- Actually counted the number of changes and categorized them…
You may have noticed the vague title for this post. This is actually referring to the nice fade that all notes have that give a much more lifelike feel to the song playback that this program provides. This is definitely my favorite part about this update.
The link to this application has not changed, but in case you are new to this project or forgot, here it is: http://notebookinc.byethost15.com/js/virtuoso/virtuoso.html
Also, stay tuned for another post, because I am going to be making a video to show off this new update.
See you all on the flip side!
I’ve got a major update for you guys. Virtuoso has come a long way and can do several things in order to make it easier to view your midis.
Currently, Virtuoso can now play most songs without trouble. It can also visualize the playback of songs with a keyboard as well as a heads up display for several things. These include the time signature, tempo, key signature, as well as upcoming notes.
Even better, now it is possible to use samples other than a square wave, and the application currently uses a sound of my own design which I have appropriately dubbed ‘e-piano.’ However, it is currently not possible to select a sample for playback, but that will be coming in the next update.
Here is a video showing off the latest version at the time of writing.
It looks like I have started another project! I call this one virtuoso, and basically it is going to be a sort of all-in-one midi player in order to help those who want to record songs being displayed on a piano, or learn to play songs.
I have made quite a lot of progress behind the scenes with this one. The second update for this was literally jumping from just loading a midi file all the way to playing and visualizing said playback. There are still a few kinks that I want to work out before I add more features, but it will not take too long since it is simple stuff.
I have even recorded a video of this being used, so for all of you mobile users who are itching to try, here’s a nice little preview before I optimize this for mobile devices.
Horay, I have a new project to share with you! This project is already looking to be really cool. Basically, the finished project will allow you to smoothly slow down audio (real-time), as well as apply a number interesting effects. What makes this really cool is that I am designing it to be used in web browsers using the sort of new Web Audio API.
So far, I have this loading local audio files (that the user picks) which are then rendered (i.e. played) using the API. It is doing pretty awesome and the only major speed bump that I have hit is figuring out a way to slow down the audio playback without changing pitch.
This project is licensed under GNU GPL v3.0 which means that this is completely open-source and you can use the code in virtually any of your projects!
I’ll let you be the judge on whether or not this project is pretty sweet. You can find the links to the page for it, which can also be found under “projects.”
Flux Capacitor Project Page
Happy coding everyone!
I have programmed so much since I first created this blog. Not only have I been working on Forbidden, which is making tons of progress now, but I have also been working on a lot of smaller applications. Yet with all of these cool things that I have made, I have not posted any. Which is kind of weird, because I was so excited about starting this blog in the first place.
Brick Smash – Information
Play Brick Smash
After a long period of experimenting and looking through the MS3D source files, I have finally completed the code to load and animate these bad boys! I can not even express how relieved I am to have finally gotten this out of the way. This means that even after Forbidden is complete, I will be able to create more games with skeletal animation.
I have to say though, Coding this was anything, but easy. I was able to crack the secrete of how to load MS3D files, with the help of a dozen print statements. However, I was disappointed to find out that there are no thorough file specs for this file format. So, I have decided to provide anybody interested in taking on a more modern (still a little old) animation format with a nice tutorial on how to properly process these files. I expect to have it completed in about a week with code snippets and all.
Still, regarding Forbidden, the hard part is finally over and I will be able to develop it much more quickly. Especially since it is only the fun parts now!